Monday, December 5, 2011

For those who love dumplings...

Come to china!!! Yesterday Hannah and I ate at a place called Peking dumpling Wong. It was a tiny place and we made a fool of ourselves trying to order, but the food was incredible. I ate a plate of ten boiled pork and chive dumplings and split a plate of vegetarian ones with Hannah. I must figure out how to make them. Josh and I can make some pretty awesome dumplings but not nearly as good as these.

Going to restaurants and ordering has definitely been the biggest challenge for us so far. The first day we thought for some reason it was a great idea to try our hand at Sunday dim sum. Talk about amazing chaos. We were seated at a table with two other couples. There were carts everywhere, steam everywhere, people talking loudly and pointing for various dishes. Poor Hannah is a vegetarian and the Chinese are really good about sneaking meat in things that one would think are meatless like pastry looking things and pieces of bean curd. In the end the other two couples turned out to speak english and helped her order and me choose the most delicious things. All in all I wouldn't have done our first china experience any other way.

The family we are staying with couldn't be nicer. They have fed us, given us good wine, driven us places, helped us book our next leg of travel, might be bringing my extra suitcase for me to shanghai and are letting Hannah borrow their Chinese sim card for her phone. They are so giving and also the coolest family ever. I hope that I'm as cool as them when I'm older. Their boys are totally incredible and bouncing off the walls and their energy is infectious. Their apartment also looks out over the bay and islands. We couldn't have asked for better. Someday I will pass this kindness onwards to others traveling along.

No comments:

Post a Comment